Tuesday 12 January 2016

The Sassy Romper



This one is another Fall Fashion Show piece and another piece of my wardrobe in heavy rotation. I lurve it! (lurve being the word we use around here when it is more than love!)

It began a long time ago, in a galaxy exactly like this one...as a skirt

Cute and like many vintage skirts, has a tiny waist!
I bought this wool beauty many years ago and did not know what to do with it. I love the colour and stripes but even if I adjusted the waist to make it fit, I couldn't see myself wearing it. And so I held onto it for years until I found the perfect project (much like a lot of my stash is waiting around for the right project).

And thus the romper came into my imagination...

Skirt + old sweatshirt
It's hard to tell from this picture but the skirt is a maroon colour, not unlike the sweatshirt. But I had an idea, and so the cutting began.


I'm not used to taking any progress shots, so I'm lucky I did even this many!  I basically cut away from the top of the skirt. Then I put it on and while in front of the mirror, I made modifications to the cuts. These cuts would be where I would add the sweatshirt fabric. I often pinned the cut skirt to my t-shirt so I could get a good idea of where the hem would fall and how it would look. 

Those brown things are the pockets - the interior that would soon be matched to the other pocket halves, then turned to the inside of the garment.

Contemplating  my garden, and how I can get someone to maintain it for me.

That large button on the front is for looks and it's a vintage one from my stash. It's still pinned on. Have you ever heard the expression, "The cobbler's children have no shoes"? That's what's going on here. I sew things and finish them when they are for sale or for gifts, but for me it's safety pins until it's been years and I decide it's potentially embarrassing to still have it pinned on. Shhh... don't tell. I love it anyway!










No comments:

Post a Comment